Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Week 4: HTML & Preservation

In preparation for week 4, we were referred to Cornell Library's Digital Imaging Tutorial, available online here:

http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/index.html

This is the second time I have encountered the site in an educational capacity and I find it to be among the most useful resources of its kind available to students and library professionals. It is very well-organized and easy to search and navigate. It is also a very informative site that provides a lot of technical information but is not weighed down by jargon; in other words, the content is very accessible to the student or lay reader. As a reference guide, I think this tutorial will continue to be useful for me in almost any capacity that I can imagine working in a library.

During the actual class, we spent a lot of time practicing simple html coding and put together small sample pages. I think that for anyone who hasn't had hands-on experience with html, this was certainly a valuable exercise. I have used html in school and at work several times and am familiar with how to transfer and upload files to a server. Still, it's useful to revisit the basics every so often.

No comments: